COMMUNITY SERVICE GUIDELINES
SERVICE AT THE HEART IS A PART OF WHO WE ARE. WE GIVE OF OURSELVES BECAUSE IT ENRICHES OUR HEARTS AND SCHOOL COMMUNITY.
- Students must complete at least 50 hours of community service during their 4 year high school career as part of their graduation requirement. Students will complete a minimum of 10 hours each year in the 9th and 10th grades and 15 hours each year in the 11th and 12th grades.
- All hours must be logged with the Director of Guidance, who will be serving as the Community Service Coordinator.
- Students must complete a Community Service Application for each different activity, not for each hour. If a student donates 10 hours to a local soup kitchen, he needs only one form for the entire 10 hours.
- Students should check with either Ms. Taylor, Mr. Malaspina, or Mr. Azzara if they have questions as to the appropriateness of an activity.
- Applications need to be signed by the sponsor or the supervisor of the activity in order for students to receive credit.
- The following regulations exist for an activity to be counted as Service:
- The activity cannot be for pay.
- The activity cannot be work for a parent or sibling.
- The work cannot be for a profit company unless connected to the company’s established Community Service program.
- Students may use the community service hours they have donated for a religious obligation or civic organization.
- Students may volunteer for a local community organization or municipality.
- Students may use hours working as an in-school tutor or aide.